couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Rewrite /user/bob to user:bob
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 08:04:16 GMT
Curiously, I generally think the opposite. If your application has
properties that must be unique, or if there are non-commutative
operations on your documents, it's better to to use that knowledge to
form your id (a typical approach being to cons all the values together
and take the md5 and sha1 of the result). If you do so, then couchdb
will largely prevent (and at least detect) conflicts for you. If none
of your documents can possibly conflict with any other then a UUID is
perfectly justified.

B.