couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What's the best way to jack up the rev number?
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:49:09 GMT
Ryan,

As others have noted, you don't need to bump the 'number on the front'
to 'force' updates. Just update the document and replicate. If the
change isn't appearing on the target then the document has conflicting
revisions and your new update was one of the losers. Delete the
revisions *you* deem the losers, and it'll pop right up.

I confess to not finding illumination in comparisons between CouchDB
and Git, any analogy there tends to falls down at exactly the point
where the differences are important.

B.

On 22 August 2011 06:24, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2011, at 10:04 PM, Ryan Ramage wrote:
>
> A summary from the link....I have a master couchapp that clients pull
> replicate from. A refactoring of the couchapp may mess up the rev number for
> the main design doc. So i need a way to go past the rev number to force an
> update to the clients. Is there a better way?
>
> The revision IDs aren’t “numbers” (again, just like Git). They do happen to have
incrementing digits at the start, before the hashcode, but I’m told that’s just a detail
of the implementation and shouldn’t be relied on. In the general case there isn’t any
way to put an ordering on revisions, since different peers can be creating them out of contact
with each other and then merging, so the replication algorithm doesn’t pay any attention
to those digits at the beginning.