couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: What's the best way to jack up the rev number?
Date Mon, 22 Aug 2011 05:24:31 GMT

On Aug 21, 2011, at 10:04 PM, Ryan Ramage wrote:

A summary from the link....I have a master couchapp that clients pull
replicate from. A refactoring of the couchapp may mess up the rev number for
the main design doc. So i need a way to go past the rev number to force an
update to the clients. Is there a better way?

The revision IDs aren’t “numbers” (again, just like Git). They do happen to have incrementing
digits at the start, before the hashcode, but I’m told that’s just a detail of the implementation
and shouldn’t be relied on. In the general case there isn’t any way to put an ordering
on revisions, since different peers can be creating them out of contact with each other and
then merging, so the replication algorithm doesn’t pay any attention to those digits at
the beginning.

—Jens