couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Emfile error
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 21:00:09 GMT

On Aug 26, 2011, at 1:16 PM, Paul Davis wrote:

2. Increase the file descriptor limits and ephemeral port ranges if
you're hitting system limits.

Somebody made a popular series of blog posts back around 2005 or so, about how to scale up
a server to handle huge numbers of TCP connections. I think he eventually got up to a million
open sockets on one machine (in part by stuffing it full of Ethernet cards to get around the
16-bit limit on port numbers.) I don’t have them bookmarked, unfortunately, but they’re
probably not too hard to search for.

—Jens