couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: How to use the changes feed with a view as filter
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2011 18:13:46 GMT

On Aug 8, 2011, at 5:43 AM, Jeroen van Dijk wrote:

This is the original thread that gave me the impression it should be
possible: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.db.couchdb.user/13364

According to that thread (and the commit message) this is just a shortcut to avoid having
to write a filter function that duplicates an existing map function.

Jan wrote "This so you can get a notification for when a view *would* be updated if you queried
it.”, but I don’t see how that follows. Sure, it will tell you when a new revision of
a document will appear in the view, but it won’t tell you when a document that used to be
in the view isn’t any more (because the filter function no longer emitted any rows for it).
Being notified of only insertions and updates but not deletions doesn’t seem useful in practice.

—Jens