couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Elliot <...@lidalia.org.uk>
Subject Re: Multi node topology
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2011 18:21:10 GMT
Thanks; we're aware of both solutions, but as we do not currently need to partition/shard we
are interested in exploring what CouchDB could do by itself, since it supports bi-directional
replication.

Is the answer "the CouchDB developers recommend not running CouchDB in a multi-master replicated
topology"?

On 19 Aug 2011, at 18:26, Paul Davis wrote:

> Robert,
>
> There are two projects for running CouchDB in a cluster:
> CouchDB-Lounge and BigCouch. CouchDB-Lounge is a combination of an
> nginx module and Python proxy that handles managing multiple backend
> CouchDB nodes. BigCouch is a pure Erlang implementation that works
> more like Dynamo.
>
> [1] http://tilgovi.github.com/couchdb-lounge/
> [2] http://github.com/cloudant/bigcouch
>
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Robert Elliot <rob@lidalia.org.uk> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are considering setting up a cluster with more than two nodes. There is a lot
of documentation regarding two nodes but we couldn't find an exact answer for let's say a
cluster of 4 nodes.

>> Would you recommend a multi-master setup where all nodes receive writes?  This would
be simpler to setup and administer, and would also be the most fault tolerant (any combination
of nodes can be shutdown so long as one is still active).

>> If so, should we use only push replication?  Or only pull replication?  Or a combination
of both?

>> Assuming we are using pull replication within 4 nodes: A, B, C and D. Should we set
up A to pull changes from B, C and D, B to pull changes from A, C and D, C to pull changes
from A, B and D and D to pull changes from A, B and C? Is this the recommended approach?