couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Martin Hewitt <>
Subject Re: gen_server timeout
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:25:23 GMT
Hi Paul,

This, sadly, in my case, happens very rarely, but it is linked to a high load of view rebuilds.
I'll look into capturing the data you've asked for if I see it happening again, and I'll also
look into increasing the number of processes.

Thanks for you help,

Sent from my iPhone

On 11 Aug 2011, at 18:30, Paul Davis <> wrote:

> When this happens can you do a "ps ax | grep couchjs" on the machine
> hosting CouchDB? It sounds like you've hit the process limit (which is
> configurable). Hard to say if this is because you have lots of
> concurrent clients holding couchjs processes or if we're leaking them
> out of the pool somehow. If you can show that there aren't any clients
> holding them (ie, from view updates or long list calls) then I'd be
> super intrigued to see if you can narrow it down to a test case. I've
> heard a couple anecdotes about leakage here but never with enough
> detail to start looking for a root cause.
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Martin Hewitt <> wrote:
>> I've put a log extract on Pastebin here:
>> Sorry, I'm not familiar with erlang, so I'm not sure which bits are pertinent, and
there may well be more than one error trace in there.
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> Martin
>> On 11 Aug 2011, at 11:14, Martin Hewitt wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I'm getting the following error when trying to load some views:
>>> {"error":"timeout","reason":"{gen_server,call,[couch_query_servers,{get_proc,<<\"javascript\">>}]}"}
>>> Googling around, it seems this issue has been "fixed" way before I even started
using CouchDB. Any ideas what could be causing it now?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Martin

View raw message