couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Zdravko Gligic <zgli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: few doubts
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 07:32:41 GMT
oh, i hate gmail, as it seems to react to certain key combinations ...

Focus - It seems that CouchDB has been purposely designed with "single
mindedness in mind".  The approach seems to be that it can be most
efficient if its various functions and its various tasks do small
amounts of work in the most efficient way possible.  So, it would seem
that writes keep on writing to the end of file, instead of flipping
through it and trying to over-write and update in place existing docs.
 Again, in order to be as efficient as it can be with those writes, it
foregoes updating the views (the same way that an RDBMS would update
all of the related indices as part of its record update) and leaves it
for another process which will concentrate on doing just that.  So, it
seems that "context switching" or not having to do much of such
switching is where it gets lots of it processing efficiency.

Again, I am most anxious to see how my noob understandings check out
with technical realities.  ;)

HTH,
teslan