couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: RESTful document structure
Date Mon, 11 Jul 2011 01:40:46 GMT
On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 3:11 AM, Mark Hahn <mark@boutiquing.com> wrote:
>> you could make one single class (ClassToRuleThemAll, let's say) to
> hold the data for every single data type you work with, but that's silly.
>
> It's silly because there is a practical disadvantage in that every
> instance would waste space for all the variables that would be needed.
>
> I can't think of any practical advantage for having multiple design
> docs unless multiple apps share a db.

CQS uses multiple design documents which are machine-generated.

https://github.com/iriscouch/cqs

You get common access controls, but each queue can be created,
modified, or deleted independently, without affecting the others. In
my deployments, each worker has two queues (2 ddocs), high-priority
and low-priority. Indeed, the real "application" is a distributed
service, built from multiple workers, performing a common task.

I am not satisfied with this architecture. It bothers me to know that
dozens of validation functions execute for each update. Also, if I
change the design doc code, I must re-deploy dozens of times. Changing
validate_doc_update() code is a nightmare. But ultimately, it is a
trade-off and I still feel the benefits outweigh the limitations.

--
Iris Couch