couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: few doubts
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 03:44:57 GMT
On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Matthew John
<tmatthewjohn1988@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2) I understand that all the MR queries (views) to be used in the system has
> to be coded in the Design document. Does that mean a super-set of all
> possible queries which we might use in the System has to be coded in the
> Design doc? Can this be added on the fly (dynamic )

Yes.

Query CouchDB does this: https://github.com/iriscouch/query_couchdb

Its goal is to clone the Google App Engine query API. Given a (valid)
query, it determines the appropriate map/reduce and _view query to get
that result. If the map/reduce is not there (HTTP 404), then it will
update the design doc and re-query.

That project is undocumented, incomplete, and the code is sloppy.
However the idea behind it is very good (if I may).

As Jens says, in practice, like any production database, you tend to
know all of your important queries at development time. During
run-time, you just fill in the blanks for the query.

--
Iris Couch