couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com>
Subject Re: few doubts
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 03:26:46 GMT

On Jul 3, 2011, at 8:11 PM, Matthew John <tmatthewjohn1988@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) I am familiar with MySql systems. In one of the applications I ve made,
> whenever the server gets restarted I used to perform a warm up (similar to
> Select * from *) inorder to populate the cache. And this used to take almost
> like half an hour. How does it happen in CuuchDB and how long might it take
> for the "warm up"

That sounds like it would depend totally on the size of the database, and the server's disk
speed and amount of RAM. (It seems like a strange thing to do anyway; shoving every row through
the cache is going to leave it in a fairly random state that won't reflect how much different
rows actually get used.)

> 2) I understand that all the MR queries (views) to be used in the system has
> to be coded in the Design document. Does that mean a super-set of all
> possible queries which we might use in the System has to be coded in the
> Design doc? Can this be added on the fly (dynamic)

Sure; design docs are just documents [rows] and can be updated at any time.

But in practice, most SQL based apps also have a fixed set of hardcoded queries that they
plug parameters into at runtime, so this isn't very different.

--Jens