couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Weird: the order of 'group' and 'group_level' params is significant
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2011 17:51:22 GMT

On Jul 21, 2011, at 7:01 AM, Kevin R. Coombes wrote:

And I would therefore argue in favor of deprecation.  In the long run,
it is better to teach people to use "group_level=exact" than to
repeatedly have to explain this issue to them.  I think it's a bad idea
to promote behavior (using "group=true") that does not fit with user
expectations (that "group=true" is simply a binary switch that still
allows you to set group_level to whatever you want).

+1. Having two different parameters that affect the same behavior, but in different and incompatible
ways, is just confusing.

I suggest:
1. Make the URL parser ignore ‘group=‘, if ‘group_level=‘ is specified too.
2. Remove ‘group=‘ from the documentation, except perhaps as an obsolete way to specify
‘group_level=exact’.

—Jens