couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Run Local Button - Improving End User Experience
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2011 09:08:34 GMT
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:43 AM, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 15:57, Alexander Gabriel <alex@barbalex.ch> wrote:
>> awesome. What a killer idea. I want it!
>>
>> Alex
>>

>> 2011/6/9 Ryan Ramage <ryan.ramage@gmail.com>
>>
>>> I am in the mist of a idea, and wanted to run it past the community
>>> before I took it too far!
>>>
>>> As one of couches main features is the ability to replicate couchapps,
>>> I think it would be cool if couchapps
>>> could have a "Download + Run Local" button. Here is what clicking on
>>> that button would do:
>
> This is a cool idea and one that's been floating around in our
> collective heads in various forms for a while I'm sure.
>
> Max Ogden has this project: https://github.com/maxogden/chromecouch
> It's just a tool to discover the couch behind a CouchApp and replicate
> it to your local couch.
> It doesn't handle any of the downloading and installation of couch, though.
>
> Mikeal Rogers has this project: https://github.com/mikeal/pouchdb
> He and I are aiming to get to a place where a modern browser can
> support couchapp frameworks that seamlessly cache entire applications
> on the client browser for offline use by using an opaque couchdb
> object which syncs with the browsers IndexedDB.
>
> To me, making this a nice experience that comes for free with a modern
> browser is more compelling, but for those who want to run an Apache
> CouchDB on their own desktop some combination of system-tray and
> chromecouch work could be cool.
>
> If you want to get involved please jump on board :).
>

>>> 1. Have a branded splash start for the couchapp.
>>> 2. Start a process that downloads the latest couchdb for the users os
>>> 3. Configures the local couch with some sane desktop defaults.
>>> 4. Starts replication with the source db.
>>> 5. After replication is complete, launch the local browser to the couchapp.
>>>
>>> After that, the user would have:
>>> 1. a system tray icon (branded for that app) with some menu options
>>> (open local site, open remote site, exit...)
>>> 2. a desktop/system menu launch icon.
>>>

>>> The main goal here is a smooth experience for an end user for running
>>> a local couchapp, sync'd with the original couch.
>>>
>>> Implementation
>>>
>>> I have most of the pieces for this already in some of the apps I have
>>> built. Here is what I imagine:
>>>
>>> 1. A 'webstart design doc'. A couchapp that would want to use this
>>> would install a design doc. It would look kind of like this:
>>>
>>> http://reupholster.iriscouch.com/_utils/document.html?reupholster/_design/app
>>>    Yes, it is using java webstart, which is an old technology, but I
>>> have found it working surprisingly well with couchdb.
>>>
>>> 2. A small java desktop process. Handles downloading, starting,
>>> stopping, and config of the couch.
>>>   Yes, many of you will say java, blah blah :) ...but I also can see
>>> having an optional couchdb-lucene, or elastic search, embedded in the
>>> java process, connected with the new externals.
>>>

>>> So I send it out there, what do you think. Would this be valuable?
>>> Thoughts? Pitfalls? Duplicate projects?
>>>

>>> Ryan
>>>

>>> --
>>> http://eckoit.com - Keep what you hear.
>>> Twitter: @eckoit

There os also refuge with farme rmodule:

http://vimeo.com/24719190

Auto discovery of nodes around. For the splash page have a look in 0.3
release next week, there is also a ticket about in jira.