couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: How to get the value of a reduce function?
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:25:19 GMT
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 18:14, Luis M. Gonzalez <luismgz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm sorry if this is a stupid question,  I'm new to couchdb and although I
>> tried, I couldn't find the way to do this simple task.
>> I have created aview which computes the sum of all ages of a family members
>> (this is just for learning purpose, not very useful at all):
>>
>> The view's url is this:
>> http://neuruss.iriscouch.com/_utils/database.html?family/_design/ages/_view/ages
>> The json result of this view is this one (as seen in "raw view"):
>>
>>    {"rows":[
>>    {"key":null,"value":558}
>>    ]}
>>
>> So, for displaying the value on my attachment (index.html), I use this
>> jquery snippet:
>>
>>   $.getJSON("http://neuruss.iriscouch.com/family/_design/ages/_view/ages",
>> function(json){
>>                                $(".description").text(json.rows[0].value);
>>
>>    });
>>

>> But it doesn't work...
>>
>> I suppose the result is a json object, so why can't I see the result?
>>
>> I tried parsing it with "JSON.parse.." but it didn't work. I also
>> tried showing the whole json result, not just its value, but didn't
>> work either.
>>

> You tried to show the whole result and it didn't work?
> Can you check what the value of "json" is? Maybe show something if
> it's == false or === undefined or null or something?

The example URL he gave does return a view result. But you might be right.

Luis, I do not see an index.html file attached in that design
document. One point of friction with CouchDB is the web browser
same-origin restrictions. For example, if you load index.html from a
foreign site and try to getJSON from your couch, you will not get the
query result.

Another clue is that you are using a full, absolute URL in your
example. That is okay, but perhaps you did that because your web page
is from a different site?

--
Iris Couch