couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <>
Subject Re: How to identify new docs in the _changes feed?
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 01:31:14 GMT
On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 3:26 AM, Randall Leeds <> wrote:
> Why do you need to know the difference and what defines "created" for you?
> Would a document that replicated from elsewhere count as "created" or
> only if it's the first revision?
> What if revision 2-* replicates in?

_changes is a false prophet.

The best bang-for-buck with the _changes feed is cache invalidation: A
change is a *hint* that you might want to check something out, but it
is (IMHO) not generally the primary trigger to execute some code.

I have found success pushing intelligence to the client, combined with
a validate_doc_update() function that confirms that intelligence.

In your case: Require all new docs to have a field "is_new: true".
That is very easy to confirm in the validator:

    if(oldDoc && newDoc.is_new)
        throw {forbidden: "Updates must REMOVE is_new"};

    if(!oldDoc && !newDoc.is_new)
        throw {forbidden: "Creates must SET is_new"}

It is also very easy to see in the _changes feed

This workflow is compatible with replication, since the peers will
(presumably) enforce the same policy. (If you are allowing them to
update your db, presumably you trust them.)

Iris Couch

View raw message