couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Marcello Nuccio <marcello.nuc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB vs RavenDB (Specific features)
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2011 09:04:28 GMT
2011/6/27 Ryan Zec <basire@gmail.com>:
> *Transactions
> *This is kind of important for me.  An example would be sending scores to
> the database.  When someone sends a score to the database, first I am going
> to store that score as its own entity.  Then I am going to want to update
> the record that stores the total for the day, week, month, etc...  If any
> one of these updates fail, I don't want to any of the updates to save
> (saving the insert is fine).  Is there a way to do this for CouchDB?

I don't think you will need to store a record with the totals in CouchDB.
You should use a view for that.
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Introduction_to_CouchDB_views

> *Writing To Disk
> *I really like that RavenDB by default writes to disk as it makes sure that
> when data is sent to the server, the data will be there even if there is a
> power outage or some other event that happens that is out or your control.
> I would rather sacrifice a little write performance to maintain a much
> better chance that data is not lost.  While that data I am storage is not
> super mission critical (like payment information), it is still pretty
> important to the players of the game and important if we want the meta game
> to be successful.  Can CouchDB configured to write to disk instead of memory
> (or does it do that be default)?

You can turn off delayed commits for maximum safety, but make sure to
do some performance test.
You can read about delayed commits at
http://guide.couchdb.org/draft/performance.html#single

> *Auto Indexing
> *One thing that is really nice with RavenDB is that is has auto index where
> if you use an index that is not manually create a lot, RavenDB will
> automatically turn the temporary index into an real index for you.  Can
> CouchDB do this?

In CouchDB you build an index by adding a view, i.e. a Map function
and, optionally, a Reduce function. So I don't think it is technically
possible to automatically build it.

...just my 2cents.

Marcello

PS: I have never used RavenDB so I do not know how does it compare to CouchDB.