couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Stuart (SuperCoders)" <andrew.stu...@supercoders.com.au>
Subject Re: Has Erlang's promise of parallelism been realised in CouchDB?
Date Thu, 30 Jun 2011 09:16:04 GMT
I imagine that if anything needs the performance it is the view indexer?

On 30/06/2011, at 6:06 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 09:53, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com>
wrote:
> But beyond the parallelization of request handling there's concurrency
> in the more general sense. The neat thing about Erlang, and why it has
> its reputation, is that the CouchDB code can be liberal about its use
> of concurrency at the code level without suffering from deadlocks or
> other headaches that often plague programmers of complex,
> multi-threaded shared memory systems. The Erlang team has taken care
> of all the hard parts about sharing data in a concurrent environment.
> As I understand it, the Erlang runtime's use of chipsets with many
> hardware threads is only improving, and those benefits will be
> automatically conferred upon CouchDB.

One thing that, as far as I know, has not been parallellized is the
view indexer. While it should be possible to execute at least the map
part of map/reduce concurrently, CouchDB doesn't do that yet. IIRC
there were reasons for that? But at least it's good to be aware of.

Cheers,

Dirkjan
--
Message  protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and
content filtering.http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg