couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@mooseyard.com>
Subject Re: _changes feed continuous mode hangs up after 90 seconds
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 17:38:27 GMT
Adding a ‘heartbeat’ parameter to the URL does keep the connection alive. But it seems
that, no matter how long an interval I specify, the server still sends a newline every 60
seconds. For instance, I tried "_changes?feed=continuous&since=0&heartbeat=3000000”
and still got several newlines in a few minutes.

This may not seem like a big deal, but in terms of a desktop app it means the client will
keep using a bit of CPU every minute, and parts of its code will stay ‘hot’ and ineligible
for paging. This isn’t good for performance. And in a mobile app when the CouchDB server
is local on the same machine (as on iOS or Android) there’s no reason to need a heartbeat
anyway. So I’d like to be able to at least set it to a huge value.

—Jens