couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Marcel Bruch <br...@cs.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: CouchDB embedded in Eclipse - current status?
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 13:22:01 GMT
On 04.06.2011, at 15:18, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On 4 Jun 2011, at 15:03, Marcel Bruch wrote:

CouchDB in "embedded mode" is just like calling like any other third party command-line tool.
What other specific requirements does Eclipse have?

a local Erlang runtime nor CouchDB to be installed *before* on client side.

<many options>", right? Thus, what's needed is (i) a Erlang runtime installation as
a plug-in and (ii) a couchdb installation as plug-in. Both plug-ins would be platform-specific,
right?

like to support Mac 32/64, Win 32/64, Linux 32/64 we need 2 x 2 x 6 = 24 plug-ins?

>>> https://github.com/jhs/build-couchdb will build a CouchDB and all dependencies
for you in a neat package. But yeah, you'd need one per architecture if you want to have it
all fit (64bit Mac OS X *can* run 32bit binaries e.g.), but if the procedure of producing
a plugin is automated, I'm sure a lot of people would pitch into providing binaries.

>> your build script works like a charm. Just a few questions regarding you build:
>
> It's Jason's but yeah, it works great :)
>
>> It seems that *everything* required to run couch has been built and packaged below
build/ (including Erlang), right?

> Correct.
>
>> There is no dependency anymore that needs to be installed before I can run CouchDB
on my machine, i.e., if I copy the build folder to another machine (same OS) it should work
there too?

> Correct.
>

>> If so, then it might become quite easy to create Eclipse bundles from it - and along
with Ryan's management scripts it should be straight forward (more or less). The issue with
"one plug-in per platform" remains but may be acceptable if others contribute builds for different
platforms.

>> Another one: Is Couch itself platform dependent - or just Erlang? (you see, I'm quite
foolish when it comes to Erlang)

> What kind of platform dependency are you referring to?

Can CouchDB be complied on some machine and run on every other platform that has Erlang runtime
installed? Comparable to Java: Compile once, run everywhere.