couchdb-user mailing list archives

From MK ...@cognitivedissonance.ca>
Subject Re: 256kB stack size ok?
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2011 08:05:52 GMT
On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 14:34:25 -0700
Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 05:50, MK <mk@cognitivedissonance.ca> wrote:
> > Does anyone have an idea of what a safe minimum stack size is for
> > couch?
> This is an excellent question and it'd be really cool to hear some
> good thoughts on this.
>
> In particular, I'm not sure what (from a libc perspective) is stack
> allocation and what is heap allocation in the Erlang runtime.
> Looking around quickly it's not easy to find documentation on BEAM
> itself (Bogdan/Björn's Erlang Abstract Machine).

I did not even know that's what it is, thanks ;)

> Perhaps there are some more basic questions that we could cross-post
> to erlang?

I don't think you could simplify it beyond "Do you know how big a stack
this application needs?"  256kB seems like a lot to me, I have no idea
why someone would need the linux default of 8MB.

You can limit thread stack size internally, at least with pthreads.  I
noticed when doing this on the server that nodejs (or the "libeio"
it includes/uses) does that -- it has a very small "allocated memory"
footprint by default.  Kind of a lesson there for developers perhaps.
That beam thing is just colossal, at least on linux.

--
"Enthusiasm is not the enemy of the intellect." (said of Irving Howe)
"The angel of history[...]is turned toward the past." (Walter Benjamin)