couchdb-user mailing list archives

From MK>
Subject 256kB stack size ok?
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:50:46 GMT
Does anyone have an idea of what a safe minimum stack size is for
couch?   I have it on a linux openVZ slice, and OVZ counts something
called "allocated memory" which AFAICT most closely resembles the
"writable/private" stat found with pmap -d.

At start-up, beam.smp has 12 threads; with a default stack of 8MB each,
that's 96MB.  After a while it grows to 25 threads and about a 1/4 GB
of "allocated memory".    I'd expect that to be the minimum using a
default stack size.

So I cut the system stack size to 256kB, which reduced my overall mem
usage by more than half,  and WRT to couch, about 90%.  Everything
seems okay, but am totally unfamiliar with erlang, and was just
wondering if someone in the know here can provide some reassurance.

"Enthusiasm is not the enemy of the intellect." (said of Irving Howe)
"The angel of history[...]is turned toward the past." (Walter Benjamin)

View raw message