couchdb-user mailing list archives

From René Brüntrup <bruent...@imfl.de>
Subject Re: Data loss in CouchDB 1.0.1
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 08:35:06 GMT
Hello!

> 1) Are you certain that you were in fact writing to the database on this server and not
the replica?  Can you share some access logs towards that end?

We could not find the missing data in any of the replicated files. Each
backup has an increasing number of documents with the least amount of
missing data in the newest backup. Access logs from the 2011-03-08 are
unfortunately missing, because the log rotation already removed them.

> 2) Is it possible that you've inadvertently restored the database file from a backup?

No backup was created at this date and we do not have any mechanisms
that could automatically restore the backups.

> 3) Is it possible that you were writing "underneath" the encrypted LVM volume for the
past two months?

Our system does not work without an initialized database that contains a
number of user account and definition documents. But even if such an
initialized database would have been available underneath the encrypted
volume we would have noticed a data loss after changing the database,
because the system was already in use before the 2011-03-08.

We will check again, if there is a database file underneath the
encrypted volume, but we cannot stop the system right now. When
replicating the database we just noticed, that the timestamp of the
source database was updated. The replication processes that where
started after the 2011-03-08 and before the reboot of the server did not
change the timestamp of the source database.

Regards,
René