couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Sebastian Cohnen <sebastiancoh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Queries on CouchDB tests done using Tsung
Date Tue, 03 May 2011 11:59:45 GMT
I just found http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Performance#System_Resource_Limits - this might
be a good starting point.

On 03.05.2011, at 13:53, Sajeesh P N wrote:

> I already tried increasing max_connections to 4096, but still errors are coming after
a certain request rate. The max open files in Couchdb server system is just 1024. Should we
have to increase this value ?

> How do we increase the ERL_MAX_PORTS ? If we set this env variable, do we need to set
it again for every couchdb restart ? How to see the existing configuration values?

> Thanks,
> Sajeesh
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sebastian Cohnen" <sebastiancohnen@googlemail.com>

no. of requests it can handle. I have 3 Tsung clients, should I have to do any system related
configurations in Couchdb like max open files??

>> I am facing a problem like, even though I used 3 tsung clients or 1 client, the max
no. of requests to Couchdb is around 1000 per sec. I could not increase it further... and
getting CouchDB errors like ("mochiweb socket server .... acceptor error... accept failed").
Do you have any idea about this ?

>> Thanks,
>> Sajeesh
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sebastian Cohnen" <sebastiancohnen@googlemail.com>

using tsung (not benchmarking couchdb though). To generate load in this magnitude reliably
you'll need either more machines generating the load, or doing more requests in each session
(even if they are all the same). Using more requests per session vs one request per session
has proven to work for me much better - especially when the response time per request is low.

>> You should specify you scenarios according to your usage patterns (e.g. read/write
ratio, accessing views etc.). Simply hammering on reading docs e.g. is probably not very meaningful
for a real world application.

>> Another thing you should consider is using a proxy/http accelerator like varnish
to serve cacheable resources.

>> On 03.05.2011, at 10:31, Sajeesh P N wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks. I am reading different documents in Couchdb as my requests. My aim is
to get like 1000, 2000, 3000 ... requests per sec handled by CouchDB and reported in Tsung.
Is it necessary to have more clients in Tsung to generate more requests/sec or have more requests
per session for one tsung client.

>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Sajeesh
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sebastian Cohnen" <sebastiancohnen@googlemail.com>

the default configurations for CouchDB. I would like to get a clarity on the following questions:-

>>> The default for HTTP load testing in Tsung creates a new connection per request
by default, IIRC. But it somehow depends on what you want to test.

configuration in Couchdb should I modify and how much should be the value or limit?

>>> I'd say that's hard to answer per se. What kind of requests? Reading documents?
Creating? Accessing views? ...