couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ann] couchapp 0.8.0 is out
Date Mon, 09 May 2011 02:33:54 GMT
On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 12:17 AM, Andrew Stuart (SuperCoders)
<andrew.stuart@supercoders.com.au> wrote:
> It's still a little unclear to me - is couchapp a tool for developing
> couchdb applications locally and automatically deploying them to a couchdb
> server, or is couchapp the concept of developing applications in which there
> is no middle tier between client and couchdb?  Or is couchapp not two
> separate concepts but both of these things combined sharing the same name?

yes historical reason, couchapp is old. The script was written before
the term was coined.

> If these things are separate concepts is there any value in considering a
> new name for one or the other such as "couchbuilder" and "couchapp".

This have been already discussed in the past and even recently on the
couchapp ml when I asked, and the conclusion was that this change
wasn't needed.  I don't think it's really needed anyway, it's a little
too late and not really needed. Depending on the context one mean
applications embedded in couch, the other a tool :)

- benoît