couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: replication order
Date Wed, 18 May 2011 23:20:25 GMT
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 7:08 PM, Ryan Hiebert <ryan@ryanhiebert.com> wrote:
> When replication is being done, in what order will the changes be applied?  In the order
that they happened, or in the order of the _id they refer to, or some other ordering, or is
there no ordering that can be expected.  For instance, if I move a document, I would like
to make sure that I never have two versions of the document.  To this end, I first delete
the document, and then create it again with the new _id.  In a replicated database, can I
be sure that the document will be first deleted, and then created on the replicated database?

> Thanks,
>
> Ryan

The updates are applied in the order of the update sequence. You can
view that sequence using the changes feed. Your proposed scenario is
listed under "assuming those are the only two edits applied to those
two docs in any database that ever replicates with your network of
dbs, then yes".