couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Matt Goodall <matt.good...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple instances on one machine
Date Tue, 17 May 2011 13:41:36 GMT
On 17 May 2011 12:20, Clare Walsh <clarew@autonomy.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there a way to run multiple instance of couch on the same machine, ie on
> different ports?
>
> The only instructions I've been able to find online were for couch 0.8 and
> were very out of date... It seems like I would need to make copies of most
> couch folders and the local.ini files, but some of the things it refers to
> either don't exist, have changed/moved or seem like they might be the wrong
> level of nesting :s (
> http://code.google.com/p/couchdb-lounge/wiki/SettingUpTwoCouchInstances)
>
> I'm using couch built from source in the svn trunk (from Friday) and am on
> Ubuntu.

Hi,

It's definitely possible to run multiple couchdbs on one machine and almost
everything can be shared if wanted.

Exactly how you set things up really depends on how you want to run your
server, but I've used the following to start up a new, disposable couchdb
instance in a local directory for testing:

1. Create an empty directory; cd to it.
2. Create a 'data' directory in the current directory.
3. Create the couch.ini file below in the current directory.
4. Start couchdb using `/path/to/global/couchdb -a couch.ini`.

--- start of couch.ini ---
[couchdb]
database_dir = ./data
view_index_dir = ./data
uri_file = couch.uri

[httpd]
port = 15984

[log]
file = couch.log
--- end of couch.ini ---

That actually chains together the two default .ini files, as installed by
couchdb, and the couch.ini in the current directory. You can use the -c arg
to couchdb to see the full chain in case you want to customise the .ini
chain at any level.

Please note that the above should not be considered a "production" setup but
hopefully it's enough to get you going.

- Matt