couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Sean Copenhaver <sean.copenha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: map reduce
Date Thu, 26 May 2011 17:47:23 GMT
My understanding is the big benefit of Google doing it on multiple machine
is that they are concurrently processing huge amounts of data in batch.
CouchDB is incremental map/reduce meaning that as documents are
updated/inserted/deleted the map function is run on them and the index for
the view updated. Also the reduce function is run on the page in the index
and that value is updated. I don't know if couchdb batches these but I would
assume so.

In terms of having a cluster of couchdb's and running a querying over a view
that is in all of them and merged. I believe BigCouch does this:
https://github.com/cloudant/bigcouch

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Mauro Fagnoni <mauro.fagnoni@gmail.com>wrote:

> map can be performed back in cluster mode? There is an average number of
> computers that are running this operation?
>
> For example, the map reduces done by Google on several machines in the
> cluster?
>
> http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce.html
>
> best regards
>
> --
> [-------WHOAMI------] Mauro Fagnoni
> [----------ICQ#---------] 279572903
> [--------MSNID--------] maurofagnoni@yahoo.it
> [--YAHOOMSNID--] maurofagnoni@gmail.com
> [--GOOGLETALK--] mauro.fagnoni@gmail.com
> [-GOOGLEWAVE-] mauro.fagnoni@googlewave.com
> [------JABBER-------] mauro.fagnoni@gmail.com
> [------SKYPE--------] mauro.fagnoni
> [-----LinuxUser#----] 346345
> [----------Blog---------] http://kingmauro.wordpress.com

“The limits of language are the limits of one's world. “ -Ludwig von
Wittgenstein