couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Sebastian Cohnen <sebastiancoh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Queries on CouchDB tests done using Tsung
Date Tue, 03 May 2011 09:36:43 GMT
I'm currently doing some performance analysis/engineering for a customer of mine using tsung
(not benchmarking couchdb though). To generate load in this magnitude reliably you'll need
either more machines generating the load, or doing more requests in each session (even if
they are all the same). Using more requests per session vs one request per session has proven
to work for me much better - especially when the response time per request is low.

You should specify you scenarios according to your usage patterns (e.g. read/write ratio,
accessing views etc.). Simply hammering on reading docs e.g. is probably not very meaningful
for a real world application.

Another thing you should consider is using a proxy/http accelerator like varnish to serve
cacheable resources.

On 03.05.2011, at 10:31, Sajeesh P N wrote:

> Thanks. I am reading different documents in Couchdb as my requests. My aim is to get
like 1000, 2000, 3000 ... requests per sec handled by CouchDB and reported in Tsung. Is it
necessary to have more clients in Tsung to generate more requests/sec or have more requests
per session for one tsung client.

> Thanks in advance,
> Sajeesh
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sebastian Cohnen" <sebastiancohnen@googlemail.com>

configurations for CouchDB. I would like to get a clarity on the following questions:-

>> 1) For every requests queried from Tsung, whether CouchDB is creating a new connection
for each?

> The default for HTTP load testing in Tsung creates a new connection per request by default,
IIRC. But it somehow depends on what you want to test.

>> 2) I would like to increase the no. of requests handled by CouchDB. What configuration
in Couchdb should I modify and how much should be the value or limit?

> I'd say that's hard to answer per se. What kind of requests? Reading documents? Creating?
Accessing views? ...