couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Priem <>
Subject Find CouchDB docs missing an arbitrary field
Date Tue, 31 May 2011 21:03:44 GMT
Hi all,
I need a CouchDB view where I can get back all the documents that don't
have an arbitrary field. This is easy to do if you know in advance what
fields a document *might* not have. For example[1], this lets you send
view/my_view/?key="foo" to easily retrieve docs without the "foo" field:

function (doc) {
   var fields = [ "foo", "bar", "etc" ];

   for (var idx in fields) {
     if (!doc.hasOwnProperty(fields[idx])) {
       emit(fields[idx], 1);

However, you're limited to asking about the three fields set in the
view; something like view/my_view/?key="baz" won't get you anything,
even if you have many docs missing field baz. I need a view where it
will--where I don't need to specify possible missing fields in advance.
Any thoughts?

(apologies for crosspost at

Jason Priem
UNC Royster Fellow
School of  Information and Library Science