couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multi-tenancy in Couch
Date Sat, 16 Apr 2011 12:43:35 GMT

On 16 Apr 2011, at 08:01, Aroj George wrote:

> Thanks a lot guys for all the replies, that was great help. It's great to
> see such an active forum :-)
>
> One thing I like about the one database per tenant approach is that it can
> allow me to scale by
> routing some of the large clients to separate database instances itself.
>
> So the only thing left to ask, as I am quite new to couch,
> are there any caveats to watch out for when going for this approach?

First, major +1 on the responses, thanks everybody :)

Caveats:

 - If you need to get some aggregated query results from multiple databases
   some extra work is required (but there's open source precedents, see
   couchdb-lounge, or BigCouch e.g.), but this is definitely supported.

 - Having lots of databases and views in them for each user an then having
   a high number of active users will lead to a lot of file descriptors
   being used. While in CouchDB that is no problem, you do want to look
   into OS and kernel limits on this and make sure you know your system's
   limits and have alerting in place that gives you enough time to add
   more or bigger hardware.

Neither are big enough reasons to not recommend this approach, just something
to keep in mind.

Cheers
Jan