couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSON-Patch
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2011 20:20:01 GMT
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 3:59 PM, Aurélien Bénel <aurelien.benel@utt.fr> wrote:
> Dear Paul,
>
>> On the other hand, there's nothing inherently wrong with the PATCH verb
>
> True, PATCH could be idempotent... It just depends on your patch format.
>
> I just had a look at your patch operations specification:
> - When you add or remove a key/value, this is idempotent.
> - However, when you add or remove an array element based on an index, this is not.
>

> Regards,
>
> Aurélien

Ah, fair point. I should've said there's nothing inherently wrong with
submitting a diff via POST (not PUT). And in fact RFC 5789 says that
PATCH is not safe or idempotent.

On the other hand, I have no idea how that has anything to do with
REST. Of specific note, Fielding himself calls out the PATCH verb as
an acceptable extension of the underlying protocol for a REST API [1].

[1] http://roy.gbiv.com/untangled/2008/rest-apis-must-be-hypertext-driven