couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Cory Zue <c...@dimagi.com>
Subject Re: Spontaneous view rebuild after view compaction?
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:13:40 GMT
Hi Paul,

I encountered a similar issue with my largest view, but it was
rebuilding whenever couch restarted. I didn't tie it to compaction
because in my app couch restarts more frequently then we compact,
however it might have been the same problem. In the end, rewriting the
view to make the footprint much smaller seemed to resolve it for me,
but it was a very unsatisfying workaround.

Cory

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 4:48 AM, Robert Newson <robert.newson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> I believe this odd behavior has been seen in the wild but I don't
> think the cause has been isolated.
>
> B.
>
> On 13 April 2011 14:07, Paul Hirst <paul.hirst@sophos.com> wrote:
>> I've had my largest view spontaneously decide to rebuild itself from scratch a couple
of times now, starting immediately after a view compaction finishes.

>> I seem to remember someone pointing at a ticket for this problem a while ago but
searching around in Jira I couldn't find it. Does it ring any bells with anyone?

>> I have a suspicion I'm hitting some kind of race condition whereby if the view is
queried while the compaction process is attempting to swap the files over it just triggers
a fresh build. I've turned off my regular view touching for the moment and I'm going to see
if it happens again but as my view takes over a day to build it's getting pretty frustrating
so any suggestions would be really appreciated.