couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Sean Copenhaver <sean.copenha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB's advantages over MongoDB
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2011 13:04:52 GMT
CouchDB tries to make sure everything you do allows it to continue to scale
with good performance. So all the database functions are pretty much
isolated and can have no side effects. Easy example of the benefits of this
is the incremental map and reduce. I would be curious to know how MongoDB's
performance goes once you use a dynamic query on a data set that does not
fit into memory.

I will say that you have to mix the book and the wiki at the least to get a
good picture of everything.

Also for time to market that's really going to depend on how you need to use
the database. MongoDB could also be slower to market then PostgreSQL if I
picked it for the wrong reasons.

CouchDB running as your web server, database, and middle tier is crazy
awesome. Your  mileage will vary, but thanks to it's simple API over HTTP
and the availability of the _changes API you have many options available to
you.

Now I do not have a lot of exposure to MongoDB (mostly just read about it a
year ago). I would be interested in it's advantages over CouchDB.

--
“The limits of language are the limits of one's world. “ -Ludwig von
Wittgenstein