couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JSON-Patch
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:15:13 GMT
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Paul C. Bryan <paul.bryan@forgerock.com> wrote:
> I just posted an informational Internet-Draft regarding a JSON media
> type to support HTTP PATCH partial modifications—something I've desired
> in CouchDB for a while, since this thread:
> http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/pNInH33bynEnhjlOlX5f
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pbryan-json-patch-00
>
> Any feedback would be appreciated.
>
> Paul

Cool work. Though I would argue against relying on JSONPath in the
spec, because JSONPath has no spec itself. I did a fairly similar
thing to this but instead of using paths I added operations for moving
around the JSON object. There's code for it in a Python package [1]
that I'll try and remember to move to github later tonight.

Also, I would remove all wording about HTTP from the specification.
Just because CouchDB might use the HTTP PATCH verb to apply JSON diffs
doesn't mean the diff format should be aware that HTTP even exists.
That's be like saying that unified diff's are only valid when applied
over email or something.

[1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/jsontools/0.1