couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Kinley Dorji <kinl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB's advantages over MongoDB
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2011 04:03:30 GMT
@John Taber: I agree on one point that I know of - MongoDB has a very
accessible database shell.

For example, entering something like demonstrates the full query
support it has over all fields, not just the keyed field:

> db.things.find({name:"mongo"}).forEach(printjson);

That kind of support does make it engaging for new users. Here, like
in some of the other areas you mentioned, CouchDB has a steeper curve.

Still, once I started using tools like Benoit's excellent couchapp and
couchdbkit (I'm a Python guy), CouchDB's inherent support for two-tier
architecture (browser::CouchDB) became very, very compelling for me.
Awesomeness comes to mind again, especially given the huge
improvements in browser technology led by the folks at Chrome/Chromium
and Firefox.

IMHO, I found the online book CouchDB - The Definitive Guide to
provide an excellent intro to CouchDB. Of course there are parts where
I'd prefer more details but I guess that would be better suited for a
book like CouchDB Cookbook or CouchDB Recipes - I hope someone will
write it.

Regards,