couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Zdravko Gligic <zgli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Peer-to-Peer Replication
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 20:24:43 GMT
> *You* make the graph -- not CouchDB!

Given a large number of peers, could this not be a daunting task - to
ensure that everyone gets eventually updated in a relatively efficient
and timely manner?

> CouchDB will follow your instructions. No more or no less.

Am I correct in my interpretation of documentation that regardless of
the overall design, replication is always between 2 nodes - a source
and a target? In other words there is no way to throw at CouchDB
multile nodes as sources and/or destinations and it would magically
keep them all updated.

> CouchDB doesn't ensure that the latest revision wins -- you are expected
> to resolve conflicts in a way that makes sense for your application.

I understand this in context of revisions to a single document.
However, I was more curious about how it internally determined which
of 2 arbitrary peers had a more recent and up to date copy.

Thanks again.