couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Zdravko Gligic <zgli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Peer-to-Peer Replication
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 20:44:37 GMT
>> You can configure the replication for continuous replication, they will find each
other when
available. Also, this is a key feature to CouchDB. That's why CouchDB
for example is working
so well with mobile devices: It's replicating when it's
online/connected. Link:
http://www.couchbase.com/products-and-services/mobile-couchbase
It has to be remembered, that  (until version 1.2, I think i remember)
these settings are
lost upon server restart.

Does this mean that numerous replications can be set up for a single
local CouchDB instance.  If so then given a community of 100,000's of
peers, would then a logical solution be one where each peer was
grouped into a subset of all of the peers, by some sort of most common
attribute - such as replicating to/from one's friends - where
hopefully through the"friends of friends" effect, eventually everyone
eventually gets updated?  If this is even remotely the case, then what
would be an optimal number of replications that any one local CouchDB
should be configured with - 10's, 100's or 1000's of "friend" peers?

>> CouchDB is all about local data, especially with replication (MVCC).

>> There are many nice features with CouchDB replication, I would really recommend reading
the
replication section in the CouchDB book.

>> It is explained very understandable there.

What I get out of that documentation is that CouchDB is quite
sophisticated in making replication happen, once you tell it with whom
it should to/from replicate.  However, I can not find anything that
expands much on how one would set it up to replicate to/from a large
pool of potential peers - hence my above questions.

Thanks again.