couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Sean Copenhaver <sean.copenha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB's advantages over MongoDB
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2011 14:05:15 GMT
>From my understanding, some advantages I see of CouchDB are:

Easy horizontal scale path:

It's HTTP. Guess what there are already a lot of and well understood? HTTP
load balancers and caching systems. It has master-master replication built
in. Your database logic is in a design document, which is just another
document that can be replicated across nodes.

Vertical scaling:

With support for Android and iOS you can now take the same database and use
the built in replication to take it up and down from mobile, desktop, and
server. Awesome.

HTTP JSON:

Anything can talk to it. You don't have to have a middleware piece to talk
to it for your for many web application scenarios. This can greatly simplify
things.

Changes API:

You can have a lot of systems monitoring for changes and apply filters to
get just what you want.

Concurrent at it's core:

Thanks to Erlang and the ideas of MVCC you can have many connections to the
database with no worries. I think I have read that some test cases found
that you would run out of IO bandwidth and ports before CouchDB would stop
responding. It might be slow (probably have time outs), but it's up and
talking. Write speed is limited since it's serialized on a node, but in
either case you could load balance that.

--
“The limits of language are the limits of one's world. “ -Ludwig von
Wittgenstein