couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Itaboraí <itabora...@gmail.com>
Subject CouchDB's advantages over MongoDB
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:47:41 GMT
I'm trying to come up with some of CouchDB's advantages over MongoDB. Mongo
seems to have some advantages on easier "queriability" and overall speed
(this is really an understatement, but I´m looking forward for the snappy
compression and the NIF interface stuff).

So far, I've come up with the following:

   -

   Crash Proof durability (not having to replicate to achieve durability as
   a best practice)
   -

   Changes feed (for doing real time analytics, for example)
   -

   Incremental map/reduce
   -

   Concurrent reads during writes (no global server write lock, even if it
   is a fast one)
   -

   Unlimited document size
   -

   Linked Documents in views
   -

   Server side programmability (shows, lists, update handlers, validation
   functions).

   - Atomic Bulk Operations

I'd love to hear some more or even be corrected when necessary, but I feel
that for the uninitiated, it is hard to fully understand the strengths and
weaknesses of both products, as well as the operational implications of
each. Couch's weaknesses, unfortunately, seems to be a bit more evident at
first, despite it being a rock solid technology.

Thanks,

Daniel

ps:. I had posted this to r/couchdb over at reddit, but that seems like a
wasteland these days.