couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: change notifications question
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2011 22:17:28 GMT
On 8 April 2011 05:43, Thomas Vander Stichele <svsamoht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am adding change notification support to paisley (twisted library for
> couchdb) and am writing a simple client that sends GUI notifications for
> changed documents.
>
> While doing so, I was wondering if anyone ever considered having change
> notifications not only notify the new rev id, but also the old one ?
>
> In my use case, after receiving a notification of a change, I now have
> to request the new version, then request what I think is the previous
> version (which I will have to do by asking for a list of revision id's -
> since I don't know the previous revision) and then figuring out what was
> the last one that wasn't mentioned in the change notification.
>
> These are three separate requests to be able to figure out changes in a
> way to present them to the user (for example - was the task
> added/completed/deleted ?)
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thomas

Thomas,

>From an app perspective, I would be looking to see if the documents
can be refactored to store the change as a separate doc, and use
?include_docs=true to pull the the prior version if required. This
means one call to couchdb from the changes feed has the doc, the
previous doc, and rev if you wish to push changes.

Does this simplify what you're trying to do in paisley itself?

A+
Dave