couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Spontaneous view rebuild after view compaction?
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:33:57 GMT
Hi Paul, I think you're referring to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-994

Adam

On Apr 14, 2011, at 8:13 AM, Cory Zue wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> I encountered a similar issue with my largest view, but it was
> rebuilding whenever couch restarted. I didn't tie it to compaction
> because in my app couch restarts more frequently then we compact,
> however it might have been the same problem. In the end, rewriting the
> view to make the footprint much smaller seemed to resolve it for me,
> but it was a very unsatisfying workaround.
>
> Cory
>

> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 4:48 AM, Robert Newson <robert.newson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> I believe this odd behavior has been seen in the wild but I don't
>> think the cause has been isolated.
>>
>> B.
>>
>> On 13 April 2011 14:07, Paul Hirst <paul.hirst@sophos.com> wrote:
>>> I've had my largest view spontaneously decide to rebuild itself from scratch
a couple of times now, starting immediately after a view compaction finishes.

>>> I seem to remember someone pointing at a ticket for this problem a while ago
but searching around in Jira I couldn't find it. Does it ring any bells with anyone?

>>> I have a suspicion I'm hitting some kind of race condition whereby if the view
is queried while the compaction process is attempting to swap the files over it just triggers
a fresh build. I've turned off my regular view touching for the moment and I'm going to see
if it happens again but as my view takes over a day to build it's getting pretty frustrating
so any suggestions would be really appreciated.

>>> Thanks.

>>> Sophos Limited, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United
Kingdom.