couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Paul C. Bryan" <paul.br...@forgerock.com>
Subject Re: JSON-Patch
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2011 20:04:49 GMT
On Wed, 2011-04-20 at 15:15 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Paul C. Bryan <paul.bryan@forgerock.com> wrote:
> > I just posted an informational Internet-Draft regarding a JSON media
> > type to support HTTP PATCH partial modifications—something I've desired
> > in CouchDB for a while, since this thread:
> > http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/pNInH33bynEnhjlOlX5f
> >
> > http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pbryan-json-patch-00
> >
> > Any feedback would be appreciated.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> Cool work. Though I would argue against relying on JSONPath in the
> spec, because JSONPath has no spec itself. I did a fairly similar
> thing to this but instead of using paths I added operations for moving
> around the JSON object. There's code for it in a Python package [1]
> that I'll try and remember to move to github later tonight.

Yes, I went back and forth on the use of JSONPath. Eventually, I settled
on using it because it does provide a well-defined format and the
prospect of reinventing it put me off. I'm currently in the process of
trying to get a stable subset of JSONPath published as an I-D as well.

> Also, I would remove all wording about HTTP from the specification.
> Just because CouchDB might use the HTTP PATCH verb to apply JSON diffs
> doesn't mean the diff format should be aware that HTTP even exists.
> That's be like saying that unified diff's are only valid when applied
> over email or something.
>
> [1] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/jsontools/0.1

I only mean HTTP and HTTP PATCH to be as informative references—I would
like there to be a patch document format for JSON that is used with HTTP
PATCH. Maybe I can lighten—but not totally eliminate—my references to
them? :-)

Paul