couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Hirst <paul.hi...@sophos.com>
Subject Re: Spontaneous view rebuild after view compaction?
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:37:43 GMT
Thanks for all the feedback.

I finally managed to get the view to compact successfully. I switched
off my automatic view touching script and there were no systems
accessing the view. I think that those changes, plus maybe a bit of
luck, got it all the way through.

After reading the ticket I was tempted to switch off delayed_commits so
see if that helped but in the end I didn't need too.

Thanks.

On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 16:33 +0100, Adam Kocoloski wrote:
> Hi Paul, I think you're referring to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-994
>
> Adam
>
> On Apr 14, 2011, at 8:13 AM, Cory Zue wrote:
>
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > I encountered a similar issue with my largest view, but it was
> > rebuilding whenever couch restarted. I didn't tie it to compaction
> > because in my app couch restarts more frequently then we compact,
> > however it might have been the same problem. In the end, rewriting the
> > view to make the footprint much smaller seemed to resolve it for me,
> > but it was a very unsatisfying workaround.
> >
> > Cory
> >

> > On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 4:48 AM, Robert Newson <robert.newson@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Paul,
> >>
> >> I believe this odd behavior has been seen in the wild but I don't
> >> think the cause has been isolated.
> >>
> >> B.

a couple of times now, starting immediately after a view compaction finishes.

ago but searching around in Jira I couldn't find it. Does it ring any bells with anyone?

view is queried while the compaction process is attempting to swap the files over it just
triggers a fresh build. I've turned off my regular view touching for the moment and I'm going
to see if it happens again but as my view takes over a day to build it's getting pretty frustrating
so any suggestions would be really appreciated.

United Kingdom.