couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject CouchDB MSI installer (alpha release)
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2011 11:11:51 GMT
Hey everybody,

I've just pushed a very ghetto CouchDB installer based on the standard
Windows MSI packaging technology.

If you're confused by now, then you can skip the rest of this email...

https://github.com/wincouch/msicouch

There's an MSI raring to go at
https://github.com/downloads/wincouch/MsiCouch/Apache_CouchDB_1.0.2.msi
but I've not had a fresh box to test on so I hope its not missing any
erlang-fu or couch-fu.

Why is this important? Well, MSI installers deliver a whole lot more
functionality than the current inno setup one:

- configuring windows firewall settings for erl.exe, werl.exe, epmd.exe etc.
- able to be deployed directly to PCs using Active Directory GPO (Group Policy)
- can be chained or integrated into other products cleanly and transparently
- long-term would allow other vendors to piggyback their apps on
Erlang or CouchDB
- extensive dependency management & rollback capabilities
- offers the best approach for deploying updated CouchDB packages in a
large deployment

Features so far:

- it has less functionality than the inno installer we currently use ... but ...
- it's an MSI (woot)
- it doesn't do services (but you can do this yourself using erlsrv.exe anyway)
- it doesn't seem to delete your data on rollback but it does trash
local.ini (not really a feature)
- it has a cooler banner logo than the inno package (really important
but could be improved on)

It's based on free/opensource WarSetup + WixEdit + WiX 3.5 and doesn't
require a commercial release of Visual
Studio to work. There are infinitely better commercial installer
packages but it's important that CouchDB can be
built with a free toolchain.... even if the OS isn't free!

Feedback is a gift -> https://github.com/wincouch/msicouch/issues and
please let me know what features you
would like to see in future.

Cheers