couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Joe Freeman <joe.free...@bitroot.com>
Subject Re: Online-Offline URL strategy
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:10:10 GMT
How about you just always send the user to the local instance if they
have couch installed by putting '127.0.0.1 app.com' in /etc/hosts (or
similar). Then you don't have to worry about the 'remote'/'local'
subdomain. Anyone that doesn't have couch installed (and hence doesn't
have the customised /etc/hosts) will get directed to the remote
instance.

The only problem is that users with couch installed locally won't be
able to access the remote couch directly (on the 'app.com' domain),
but if you can rely on couch syncing the databases, is this even a
problem?

(Obviously you can't setup the replication using the 'app.com' domain,
as the local instance would end up syncing with itself?)

Does that help?