couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Mark Hahn <m...@boutiquing.com>
Subject Re: blocking during view generation
Date Wed, 23 Mar 2011 03:15:10 GMT
Can some please direct me to where this behavior is documented?  I
just went over the technical description again and this is not
mentioned there.  Here is the closest thing I could find and it
doesn't seem to agree with my experience. (From
http://couchdb.apache.org/docs/overview.html).

"CouchDB’s core design is largely optimized around the need for
efficient, incremental creation of views and their indexes."

What is "incremental" about blocking everything for a long time while
views/indexes are created?

I don't mean to be bitchy, and I am sure I will be able to use one of
the many suggestions to ameliorate this problem, but I should not have
to be in production after months of development before discovering
this.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Mark Hahn <mark@boutiquing.com> wrote:
> Apparently I have a lot of solutions to work with.  I was quite
> worried after first seeing this.
>
> P.S. I studied couch at great lengths for months and I never saw this,
> or at least I didn't see the implications.  It needs to be discussed
> at more length or more specifically in the manual (book?).
>
> P.P.S.  Is the book ever going to be updated?  I'd pay for a hard copy.
>

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 1:15 AM, Gabor Ratky <rgabo@rgabostyle.com> wrote:
>> If blocking and blocking only is the problem and you're OK with stale data, passing
?stale=ok might solve your problem with blocking. See http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/HTTP_view_API
for more details.

--
Mark Hahn