couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Luciano Ramalho <luci...@ramalho.org>
Subject Re: Full text search - is it coming? If yes, approx when.
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:39:42 GMT
On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 8:16 AM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> CouchBase != CouchDB. CouchBase is using couchdb burt couchdb itself
> is a full opensource project.

Thanks, Benoit, I do undestand that.

It's a bit confusing, though, because all the other CouchDB features
mentioned in the previous CouchIO (not CouchOne) home page were in
fact features of the full opensource CouchDB, if I remember correclty.
It's a pity I don't have a screenshot.

When many of the core developers in an Open Source project belong to
one company, it is easy to think that the company is driving the
project.

That is not a problem by itself, but it does require very careful
communication between all parties (core developers, contributors and
users), particularly when it comes to the product roadmap if the
company business plan involves having proprietary features, and not
just services build around the product.

That said, considering that there are already good Open Source
solutions to the full-text indexing problem, I'd say the CouchDB Open
Source community should focus on other  priorities.

--
Luciano Ramalho
programador repentista || stand-up programmer