couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Bruno Rohée <doublestagetrig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: View update speed improvements
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2011 13:05:33 GMT
On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Rob Pettefar
<rpettefar@gpslsolutions.com> wrote:
>  Hi guys
> I've got a question about improving the speed at which views are updated in
> our system:
>
> Currently we use a set of database documents to make up whole files after
> they have been requested out of the system. When submitted back into the
> database the old docs that held data are deleted and new docs are created in
> their place. This was done for simplicity of design. However when we have
> large file submitted into the system this will involve the deletion and
> creation of a large number of docs being deleted and created (we are looking
> at around 4,000 deletes and 4,000 new docs).
> The views then take some time to update after this has happened.
>
> If we were to instead, modify the contents of the 4,000 documents (perhaps
> with some deletions and creations) would this reduce the amount of updates
> the system would have to put though the views and thus, reduce the time
> needed to update the views?

I think it's pretty dependent on your data, whether your new documents
are mostly identical or mostly different from the old ones. If it's
the former the process can be sped up quite a bit as the map function
will only be called on the changed documents, if it's the later not
much speed gain to be expected IMHO.