couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Surprisingly high CPU load
Date Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:23:37 GMT
On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Grauel, Moritz <grauel@adesso.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently evaluating CouchDB. During my tests I have observed  suprisingly high
CPU load. I have installed a fresh CouchDB 1.0.2, created a DB and inserted one doc { 'hello':'world'}.

How do you insert it ?

> Then I just fetch this single document as often as possible. My expectations are, that
the network should be the bottleneck in this simple case.

how often ?

> However the CPU Load of couchdb is very high. with 5 concurrect threads fetching the
document I get around 90% cpu usage. Serving the json as a static file with an apache yields
about twice as many requests as couchdb and only about 50% cpu load.

> I have repeated this test on linux in a vm, linux directly on the metal and osx and the
results are more or less similar.

> I am very aware of the fact, that my 'benchmarks' are very rough... however I am concerned
about the actual performance of couchdb when serving lots of requests.

can you provide the usages per process ?