couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <>
Subject Re: suggestions on how to structure a delicious clone
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2011 20:56:05 GMT
On 29 March 2011 07:46, Zdravko Gligic <> wrote:
> Bryan,
> I am working on something very similar where instead of less formal
> "tags", my use case involves more formal "categories" that are at
> least somewhat hierarchical in nature.

Hi Zdravko

If your hierarchies are always consistent, then I'd suggest using
linked docs

store your categories as normal in the doc.
have an additional view that maps categories to their full hierarchy,
using the category or a permutation of it as the _id (kinda like a
hashing function).
you can then pull in with one call the doc and the category which maps
to the full hierarchy in a separate doc, or use a show/list for
further server-side processing.

> So, one of my struggles is whether I have to place each doc into both
> its child and its parent/grand parent categories.  I would not need to
> do so, if somehow I could submit a single request for multiple
> start/end key values.

Depending on your data model, linked docs might solve this for you.

View raw message